About Me

My photo
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Journalist

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Future bleak for many vendors

Yousuf, a read-ymade garments shop owner at the SRT Nagar market cannot believe his fate. His eldest son, 10-year-old Omar was busy collecting debris and cleaning his father’s charred shop on Monday. Yousuf’s shop was one affected in the major fire which broke out in the adjacent vegetable market, leaving 140 push-carts gutted. With the ready-made dress shop located close to the market, most garments were completely burnt in the mishap. “As my elder sister Fathima’s wedding is to be held in April, I started helping my father by selling dress materials on a push-cart after school. Luckily, I could save some Rs.5,000 worth dress materials on the push-cart,’’ said Omar. “However, most of the garments at his father’s shop was completely gutted. All my father’s hopes have gone up in the flames,” he said, before resuming his work. Meanwhile, the SRT Nagar market, wore a deserted look on Monday. A few merchants resumed their business under the shade of plastic sheets later in the day. Similarly, Yadamma lost all her dry fish stock in the fire. Covering her head with a plastic cover to protect from the heat, 55-year-old Yadamma resumed her business again on Monday. “The fire  has brought back gloomy days for my family. After my son died in a road accident a few years ago, I started selling dry fish at the market to pay for the treatment of my husband Narsing, who is suffering from diabetes. I kept stock worth at least Rs.3,000 on the push-cart for the Sunday market before going home. I reached the market around 5.30 am on Sunday but to my shock found all my stock lying destroyed,’’ she said.Most shopkeepers resumed their business activities by selling on the ground after the GHMC staff cleared the debris. “If the fire fighters had reached early, loads of vegetables could have been saved. We stocked a number of vegetable bags on the push-carts ahead of the Sunday market. One of the merchants alerted us by sending SMSes when the fire broke out around 4.30 am. But by the time we reached the spot, all my vegetables were burnt. I have to spend at least Rs.12,000 to rebuild my two push-carts and Rs.10,000 to reconstruct the shed,’’ said Anand, a vegetable seller helplessly.

By Mouli Mareedu
moulimareedu@gmail.com

No comments: